The House That Built Us
10:36 PM
Here we sit with an accepted offer on a home that I love. A home that we poured a lot of love, laughter, tears and sweat into. And I’m thrilled that someone else loves it enough that they want to buy it. And I’m sad that someone else loves it enough that they want to buy it.
Erik and I call this house Stella's house. And no, its not just because we're a little crazy and obsessed with our dog. Ok, maybe that has a little to do with it.
It's also because she made herself at home on day 1 when she took off running through the patio door. The patio door that had been mostly opened for her to run outside into her new yard. I say mostly because the screen door was still closed. And she ran right through it on her way out. Luckily there was not a Stella sized outline where a screen used to be. She just knocked it off the track. That door never seemed to work right again...
I love this house. But, ironically enough, when we were house hunting it wasn't my favorite house.
I loved another one that had 4 bedrooms, an awesome kitchen and hardwood floors throughout the 1st floor. She was a beaut. She was the one I wanted. But she also cost a lot more than this one. So my frugal husband talked me into this one. And I can't imagine what our life in Indiana would have been like if we hadn't bought it.
This was the house that we came home to as husband and wife.
This was the house that we came home to after Erik got out of the hospital. The house where he learned to walk up the stairs again and made me the proudest wife ever.
This was the house where I learned to cook. And watched countless hours of food network in order to do so.
This was the house where our friends and family came to visit.
This was the house where we spent the first year of our marriage. And ate our year old wedding cake at our dining room table.
This was the house that I left on November 13th to move back to Wisconsin. And I bawled my eyes out when I had to say good bye to it then. I can only imagine what I will be like when I have to say goodbye to it for real in a month.
So here's some befores, durings and beautifully staged afters of Stella's house so you can see how far we've come.
Family Room
![]() |
| Blank Slate. |
| Lots of clutter. |
![]() |
| Now. |
![]() |
| Sadly, we didn't keep the denim roman shades. |
![]() |
| Now. |
Kitchen/Dinette
![]() |
| Then. |
![]() |
| Now. I don't know why this is a little crooked.... |
| Old. |
![]() |
| New :) |
Dining Room
![]() |
| Empty. |
| We'll just call this "in process" |
![]() |
| And.... After |
Living Room
| Before. That would be Stella's Window. |
![]() | |
| After. |
| Gratuitous before shot with dog. |
![]() |
| After. |
Half Bath
![]() |
| Fire Engine Red. |
| And then it was pink. |
![]() |
| Neutral color and painted vanity = much better. |
Guest Bath
| Blah Before. |
![]() |
| Stained Vanity. Blue Walls. |
Front Bedroom
![]() |
| Nice, hey? |
| I was closet cleaning.... |
![]() |
| After! |
Back Bedroom
![]() |
| Before. |
![]() |
| After. |
Master Bedroom
![]() |
| Blurry Before. |
| In Process.... |
![]() |
| After! And no, we don't keep a breakfast tray on our bed. |
Master Bath
![]() |
| Boring Before. |
![]() |
| Stained Vanity and some Paint on the Walls. Much Better. |
Thanks for the memories, house. I loved living in you and making you our home. And I will be sad to say goodbye to you.
But I am happy that a new family will put you to good use. I'm happy that pancake breakfasts will be made in your kitchen. And I'm happy that some little kidlets will be running around and causing a ruckus in your yard. I promise to have Stella's presents all picked up before you get there.
(Check out the mudroom project we did here with more before and after photos)






















4 Interesting Thoughts
So sweet, this almost made me cry. Congrats on the offer though, you are very lucky to have successfully sold your "priceless" home :)
ReplyDelete-Yaneris and Adrianna (since she is attentively watching as I type this)
I teared up just thinking of how sad it would be to say goodbye to our home. You did such an awesome job making this house a home, I am convinced you will do an even better job making your new house in Wisconsin a home. One filled with many many many new memories. Stella's Right House
ReplyDeleteSarah
Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteThis made me laugh at the beginning and cry at the end!
ReplyDeleteI do remember you telling us about Stella running through the screen, but more hilarious reading it again.
Kayla Young