Fudge -- Shoot -- Cheese & Rice

11:32 PM

Confused?

Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I decided to give up swearing for Lent this year. Last year I gave up Coke (as in Coca-Cola) but supplemented it by starting to drink coffee. The good news is that I don't drink Coke nearly as much as I used to. The bad news is that now I drink coffee. Every. Single. Day.


Image found here.

But I digress... Back to this year's Lenten promise. No more swearing. Or cussing. Or profanity.

Ironically another definition of the word swear is to take an oath. Or to make a promise. Like a Lenten promise. So really I am swearing that I will not swear for 40 days.


You can buy this sign here.

But again, I digress...

I've decided that in lieu of vulgarities (is that even a word?) that I will be conscious to insert other words or phrases where I ordinarily would insert a less than socially acceptable word or phrase.

I figured I would share with you, my lovely blog friends, my list of socially acceptable words and phrases that I will be more conscious of using in place of those that are ordinarily considered foul-mouthed. In reality, it is my goal to cut the use of any of these unnecessary words, even the replacements, from my vocabulary. But, heck, we all know that at one time or another something is going to slip out.

See what I just did there? I used the word heck to prove my point...

Forgive me that I will not be able to share with you what these are replacing. At least not for another 38 days or so. But I'm sure you get the idea.

Fudge

Oh Geez

Shoot

Cheese & Rice

For Pete's Sake

Holy Cow

Son of a Biscuit

Oh Sugar

Fiddlesticks

What the Heck?

Shut the Front Door!

So there you go, friends. I have been very aware of my language already in the last 2 days and am making a very conscious effort to be a better person. And I will only use the above mentioned phrases in moments of weakness.

Perhaps I should've been smart and decided just to give up something simple. Like coffee.

3 Interesting Thoughts

  1. Darn it all to heck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, Maybe Steve could give up swearing too. Although it wouldn't be an issue for him in the first place if a certain cousin of his didn't teach him that "swearing is cool":)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up, we weren't allowed to say "sucks" so my bro and I always said "this vacuums."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

My Instagram