Home Buying... Brandstaetter Style
10:04 PM
We found a house. A big house. With a big yard. And an apple orchard in the back. I kid you not.
| Apple Orchard image can be found here |
We can make applesauce.
| Applesauce Image Courtesy Sweet Pea's Kitchen. |
And apple pie.
| Apple Pie Image Courtesy of McCormick |
And apple jelly.
| Apple Jelly image can be found here |
Except that I don’t like apple jelly. Ick.
I can totally picture Stella out in the yard eating apples. Erik says she will probably eat rotten apples. Rotten apples that are being swarmed with bees. So ultimately she’ll probably be out in the yard eating bees.
| Stella. Much Younger. Not eating bees. |
Now I’m going to tell you a little story. A story about buying a house. With 4 bedrooms. And that apple orchard we talked about earlier. Here goes nothing!
1. Find a house you love. Make an offer on said house. Wait patiently for the owner (bank in this case) to accept your offer. Jump up and down once your offer is accepted!
2. Setup a plumber to de-winterize the foreclosed home. Then setup your home inspection.
3. On day of de-winterization, wait impatiently for 20+ minutes for the plumber to arrive. When plumber doesn’t arrive, call the plumber and inquire as to his whereabouts. Go back to work disappointed while plumber makes arrangements to come out to de-winterize your (hopefully) future house.
4. After work, call plumber to follow up to make sure all went well with de-winterizing. Silently both laugh and cry to yourself when plumber tells you that the plumbing works great and everything was fine. But the furnace wasn’t working. And the house needs to be winterized. Again.
5. Wait for realtor to call to give you the same information you just heard from the plumber. Except as an added bonus you will get to find out that the furnace wasn’t working because there was no oil in the oil tank used to heat the house. Oh, and the oil company won’t be able to refill the oil for at least 3 days.
6. Laugh again (you’re going to need to learn to laugh a lot during this process).
7. Enter snowmageddon. The snow storm of the decade.
8. Thanks to numbers 5, 6 & 7, cancel home inspection.
9. After 3 days have passed, wait for call from realtor to confirm that oil has been refilled. Jump up and down! Reschedule de-winterization. Reschedule home inspection.
10. Send a link of the house to your in-laws so that they can see it (all the while thinking that if you send the link that it will somehow jinx the process). Ah, no it won’t, you can’t have that bad of luck, can you?
11. Cancel home inspection after text from realtor (later that day) that the furnace isn’t working.
12. Laugh again.
So here is where we still sit awaiting a home inspection to be rescheduled. Luckily we are not in a huge rush. We are still trying to sell our (awesome) house in Indiana. And we are living with my very generous parents rent free. Unless they give us a bill at the end of our stay. Or kick us out because they are sick of us and our big black dog.
![]() |
| Stella after eating a down blanket. Don't worry it wasn't at my parent's house. |
Stay tuned for more installations of “Home Buying… Brandstaetter Style” – I’m sure there will be more fun in the weeks (and months) to follow!
PS – I’ve been delaying posting anything about this due to my belief that any mention of it in public may jinx us. But after what we have already experienced in the last 2 weeks I figure I may as well have the moral support from you, my loyal readers. All 3 of you from what I can tell :)

3 Interesting Thoughts
Your blog is funny. Consider me one of your (now 4) followers :) Good luck with the house buying. Justin and I are (re) starting the process in spring.
ReplyDeleteIt's like you summoned me here with this post. Obviously, you've spent entirely too much time around me...
ReplyDeleteI'll tell you all of the unhelpful things that people have told us: If it's meant to be, it will work out! Nothing worthwhile comes easily! Just have patience! Everything will fall into place exactly how and when it's supposed to!
In reality, though, that flipping blows. I'm sorry that you're going through the foreclosure ringer.
If it's any consolation, we did NOT close yesterday (I got your text but forgot to text back!). New date is (theoretically) Feb. 25. When they de-winterized this house, a pipe or something burst under the house, flooding the crawl space....
Thanks for following, Ladies!
ReplyDeleteAmanda, that BLOWS. Maybe I should have you send me all your "Home Buying, Findlay Style" stories and we could compile them and write a book.
Good luck with the pipes. What is it with you and water?!
Stef, good luck with your house hunting!!