Master Renovation: Part One
10:54 AM
Well, it's done.
The master bathroom project is complete.
And you're sitting there thinking "what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is she even talking about? Has she even mentioned anything about a master bath remodel"...
Well, I don't think I have. That's because I'm lazy folks. And the project itself was done awhile ago (as in well over a month ago) and I finally got off my lazy bum this week and got the staining and painting done. And it looks ah-mazing.
But, before I get to the nice pretty after pictures (and because the paint is literally still drying) I should probably show you some of the nasty ugly before pictures and 'splain why we decided to embark upon this little project in the first place...
You see, our master bathroom/closet area was ri-donkulous. The layout made zero sense. Here, let me show you.
Looks like a pretty normal entry into a master bathroom, right? I mean, there's a door to get into it and everything.
But what you don't see is this...
A is the main door that opens into the master closet dressing area. B is the door that opens into the main part of the bathroom. And C is one of the 2 closet doors. Notice how B & C are fighting in the picture? Well, B is a typical middle child... always causing trouble. When B isn't fighting with C, its fighting with A. pain. in. the. arse.
Here's another view looking into the closets/dressing area.
![]() |
| Isn't that a pretty wallpaper border? |
And here's the actual dressing area. There are 2 very good sized closets to the right. Very nice cabinetry and countertop to the left. And a pretty well-lit area, no?
![]() |
| Oh, there's the wallpaper again! It complements the poop brown carpet nicely. |
And here is the actual bathroom portion of this space.
![]() |
| View while looking in the door. Note, more carpet. |
![]() |
| View while standing in front of the window and next to the toilet. |
The toilet only sits about 1 foot off the ground. Now, I'm only 5'1, but this toilet is short for even me. It pretty much feels like you are going to fall once you start sitting down. Good visual of me on the toilet, eh? You're welcome.
The vanity and countertop are very nice. In fact, they were updated back circa 2003. Don't worry, we didn't throw them out. They are currently sitting in our basement with the dressing area vanity and countertop. Hopefully we will be able to repurpose them in some way. Or we'll donate them to Habitat for Humanity so as not to waste perfectly good cabinets.
The shower in the above picture is horrendous. It is one of those bath-fitter thing-a-ma-bobbers. You know, where they basically just come and put an insert in your wall? Well ours was falling out of the wall. When we walked through the house the 1st time the shower door was open and the whole unit was just hanging by these nasty little stretchy caulk boogers. Another nice visual for you. Again, you're welcome.
Oh, and the shower head is positioned just a teensy bit low.
As in, it is about a foot too short for Erik to actually be able to wash his hair in there. And we all know boys have that dirty boy smell to their hair after a long day of calculating equations and engineering stuff. Or, that may just be my husband. Anyhoo. The shower head is short. And the actual space within the shower stall is "not to code" according to our remodelers. I'm sure it was code back in 1978, but alas, the times they are a-changin'.
So that's the before, folks. To give you a little better visual on the overall layout I drew up this little number in Adobe Illustrator to show the placement of everything before.
And here is what it looks like now that the remodel is done.
Stay tuned. We have just a few small clean-up items to take care of before I will take the final after pictures. But, I will show you the demolition and in progress pics we took while the remodelers were destroying and then rebuilding the bathroom & closet.









1 Interesting Thoughts
Steve gets that hair smell thing too! Must be an engineer thing...or the fact that they are twins separated at birth. :)
ReplyDelete