1 in 8
8:24 AM
My life is filled with potty training toddlers, diaper changes, wrestling matches, snuggles, PBS Kids and sippy cups. My house is noisy, full of love and full of crazy most days.
I have 2 beautiful, healthy children that are a mere 23 months apart.
On the outside, my life looks pretty darn good. And it really is. I'm very blessed. We're very blessed.
But getting to this point wasn't easy for us. Because we are 1 in 8.
1 in 8 couples struggle with infertility, whether that means the woman, the man or both have some sort of problem preventing them from becoming pregnant. All people that struggle have different stories. Some are able to conceive naturally eventually. Some may need extensive testing and fertility treatments in order to get pregnant. Others choose simply not to do medical intervention and eventually adopt or possibly have a miracle baby (or babies) of their own.
Our journey began shortly after we got married. I have a few posts I'm going to share that I wrote back in 2011 when we were in the midst of our infertility journey. It documented how I was feeling at the time and is the best way to describe the feelings and emotions that I was going through during that dark time in my life.
When we were first struggling with getting pregnant I felt very alone.
It took me a long time to open up to anyone about what we were going through, and even then, it was only a few select people that knew anything was wrong. We were constantly inundated with questions from friends and family as to when we were going to have kids. I smiled my way through it and never let on that we were trying and struggling.
It wasn't until during my pregnancy and after Will was born that I finally opened up about what we had been through. Almost 2 years of trying and the need for fertility help in order to get pregnant.
I write all of this now, 4 years after finding out I was pregnant with our first son only to let those of you that are still out there trying and hoping know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are success stories.
So please, take a moment to say a prayer for those that are struggling with infertility. There are a lot of couples out there that are going through it at this very moment. And you never know who they might be so be sensitive and think hard before asking "so, when are you going to start a family?" or "are you going to make so & so a big brother or sister?" I can tell you from experience that even though it seems like a simple, harmless question, it can be very hurtful to a couple that is struggling and wishes and prays every day for a baby.
And to the 1 in 8 out there, you are not alone.
0 Interesting Thoughts