My name is Kristin. And I married an engineer.

11:46 PM

This is probably something only I will find amusing. But I don't care. I'm going to share it anyway.

It has to do with 2 things. Grocery shopping. And being married to an engineer.

As of late, Erik and I will go grocery shopping together. I'm not really sure why this has turned into one of our 'couple' tasks. But it has. Probably because we are both too lazy and unmotivated to go and we figure if we at least do this together we are both being punished by having to leave the comfort of the couch.

On one of our recent shopping trips we bought some of our usual staple items. Milk. Bread. Yogurt. Granola Bars. These were probably the only 4 things on our list. And this trip probably took us a good 45 minutes to an hour to complete. Because when we grocery shop together I will send my darling husband to pick out a box of crackers and he will stare at them for a few minutes before he decides which ones he wants to buy. My name is Kristin. And I married an engineer...

Now, Erik will tell you that I am anal retentive when it comes to my grocery shopping. This is a result of growing up in the grocery business and spending the early part of my adult years working in said grocery business.

The following is why he thinks I'm crazy...

You see, there is a certain way you put your groceries on the belt. All the produce goes together. Then the remainder of the perishable items. Then canned goods and boxes. And then anything breakable or smush-able, like eggs or bread or those yummy waxy chocolate donuts.

There is also a certain way you bag your groceries. I prefer paper (or reusable shopping bags if I actually remember to bring them). And I prefer not to have some snot nosed teenager mess up my bagging system after I've taken the time to place the items on the belt the way I'd like them bagged. If I wanted the peanut butter placed on top of the cherries I would have put them on the belt that way.

There is also a certain way you put your groceries away once you get home. Lunch meats and cheeses go together. Produce goes together. Certain non-perishable items have their place on each pantry shelf located next to similar items.

And yes. I am crazy. And I fully realize this as I type type type away about my unusual methods for grocery shopping....

One lovely summer evening upon returning home from the local P&S, I was putting away the groceries and Erik, the engineer, decided to help me. He thought he would be helpful and put all of the granola bars in a tupperware container so that they were all out in the open for our snacking pleasure.

The only problem with this idea was that the tupperware container was a little bit too small for the 25 or so granola bars he wanted to place them in.

I was putting something else away and turned around and saw this (and yes, I decided it was so funny to me at the time that I had to take pictures of it).




I, of course, made some smart butt comment about how all of the granola bars were never going to fit into that tiny little tupperware bowl. I'm sure I also made some smart butt comment about how the granola bars would have been perfectly fine staying in their respective boxes and being placed on the pantry shelf by their friends the cereal and oatmeal.




See the smirk? This is the point where the engineer's brain started processing what I had to say. It's the "challenge accepted" (a la Barney Stinson) face. This is the point at which he knew he would prove that he could do it and that I was wrong.

So, out came the granola bars.


And back in they went.

Vertically.


Until not a granola bar was out of place.

And then back in the pantry they went. Next to the cereal, oatmeal and other breakfast goodies.



My name is Kristin. And I married an engineer.

And next time, I will keep my mouth shut. Maybe.

6 Interesting Thoughts

  1. I can so relate to this...everything is a project HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this entry caught my eye from another blog, and I just HAD to click on it. This is totally how I feel like every day. My husband is also an engineer. I can't tell you how many times he's told an engineering joke to people and gotten blank stares and crickets back. And how every little household task must be done in the most "efficient" way possible. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining, Elaine! I'm glad others can relate to the hilariousness that is being married to an engine-nerd :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that was our problem. Married to a science nerd, I will go to the pantry to find that nothing is where I left it originally, and all of a sudden the vinegar is next to the flour instead of the other liquids. I've had to give up on being organized and cross my fingers that I can find what I need the next time I go to the pantry. But, I do get the "Chellenge Accepted" look pretty regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is too funny! However, Chris and I are anal in the same way with our groceries, so I'm glad we aren't the only ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking up. 1.) Justin and I somehow recently fell into the routine of joint-shopping ourselves. I love it, because I hate it (grocery shopping). And doing something you hate with someone you love makes it not so bad :) 2.) I unload, pack and unload at home exactly the same way you do, lol (PNS gave us LIFE SKILLS!). In the beginning Justin would try to help...eventually he has just come to say, "I will just stand over here and watch". Emotional support. Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

My Instagram