I built a stool!

7:04 PM

I've had the itch to learn woodworking for years. I found out I was pregnant with John shortly after beginning a woodworking class through WCTC and had to bow out of the class and get a refund because I couldn't be around the sawdust and fumes regularly. 

Fast forward a few years and I took a Woodworking for Women class at Woodcarft in New Berlin. I learned the basics of all sorts of tools and came home with a small peg board that I made myself from a piece of raw lumber. 

We used a table saw, jointer, planer, router and drill press in the class. The class was specifically for women and there were only 3 of us attending the class, so the instructor was detailed, thorough and really let us try out the tools so that we would be comfortable with them. He talked us through, showed us on his own piece of lumber and then let us use the tools.



Closeup up the edge I routered all by myself!

After the class I was empowered and excited! Still, I didn't have the tools at home to start any kind of woodworking and I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money on a woodworking gym membership (yes that is a real thing). 

So I waited *somewhat* patiently that we would eventually buy some kind of saw I could safely use at home. We already owned sanders, a Kreg Jig system (I bought for myself) and we have a pneumatic nailer that Erik purchased when we redid the mudroom at our last house

 Fast forward to this past Christmas when Erik surprised me with a table saw that he picked up from a coworker of his. He got it all fixed up and ready with a brand new blade and taught me how to use it. 

I had these plans in mind for a bench for our hall bathroom so the kids could share a stool rather than constantly fight over the potty stool they climb onto to brush their teeth. Also, I wanted to return the potty chair/stool to the downstairs bathroom for when John is ready to potty train.

I showed the plans to Erik and he and I devised a different style that would work better for our needs (although I did fight him a little on this because I had this one set in my mind). Plus, I planned to use scrap wood for my first build to keep costs low for something that would be a practice project.

One afternoon during nap time Erik helped me cut all of the pieces we would need before heading out of town for a quick work trip. It was up to me to assemble this thing using my Kreg Jig!

Best laid plans, right?

The wood was a little warped, which I already knew but figured I could sand. The Kreg Jig was tricky, plus I wasn't planning out where my holes should go and just trying to assemble it as quickly as I could. This was a huge mistake on my part. I learned very quickly that completing a project, even a simple one, still requires patience and planning, 2 things I admittedly don't have a lot of.

So, I had to scrap some of the pre-cut pieces Erik helped me with, put on my big girl pants and be comfortable using a very large and intimidating table saw all on my own. And I've gotta admit... it was awesome.

It still took me a little work, patience and proper planning. I still messed up A LOT.

But I got really comfortable using the saw.

And eventually, I assembled this bench. And I could not be more proud of it.


The next day, I stained it. And then put on a coat of triple thick polyurethane.


Just a couple of days later and it was ready for its new residence in our hall bathroom. I think it looks much nicer than that potty stool we'd been using.


I think my little minions approve, too. John walked into the bathroom the first time and immediately said "wow!" And they quickly jumped up and started using their new stool together. Shockingly, without even throwing elbows into one another!






So that's my story of the first thing I built... almost all by myself. 

0 Interesting Thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

My Instagram