My Baby Started Preschool!
9:47 PM
Pardon me while I go cry into my coffee.
You see, my baby started preschool today.
I'm not certain how this happened. I'm pretty sure he was born, I blinked and then suddenly it was the first day of school.
He was so excited to pick out his green shorts to wear to his very first day. Green is his favorite color, after all.
I ordered him a green dinosaur backpack, too. With a green dinosaur lunchbox for his snacks. Because, you know, green is his favorite. And dinosaurs are pretty cool too.
This kid was more than ready to start school. His momma, however, was not ready. Not even a little bit. If I could bottle up my kids at each age and keep them there forever I'd be the happiest woman in the world. Will reminds me often that he's going to grow up some day and that I'm going to cry. I know, buddy. I know.
But, like I said, he was more than ready for this. And oh so excited!
It started like any other day... get out of bed, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth and then mommy made sure we had enough time to take pictures outside with Will's special "First Day of School" sign that I made thanks to Pinterest. I was mildly stressed about getting out of the house on time but luckily my boys keep me well grounded.
Will was so brave all morning. He was so excited on the drive to school with Mommy, Daddy and John.
He was telling us all about a Blue's Clues book he remembered on the bookshelves from his morning visiting there back in May. Over 3 months ago. And the first thing he did when we got into the classroom was find that book and climb right up into the teacher's rocking chair to start reading it. I swear this kid is an elephant because he never forgets anything!
William (as you like to be called at school), you were so brave on your first day of school. you walked right into that classroom, as confident as can be, and started reading books like you had been going to school every day like a seasoned pro. You weren't scared or sad. You were filled with pure joy and excitement to learn and play and make friends and have fun. And Daddy and I were so incredibly proud of you.
Mommy stayed brave when it was time for Daddy, John and I to leave. I hugged you, said goodbye and we walked out knowing that this was a big change in your life and ours. And when daddy and I got to the car, mommy cried. A lot.
This is just the first of many "firsts" in your life and its so hard for Mommy to watch you grow up so fast right in front of my eyes without any way to slow time down. Yet at the same time I'm filled with so much joy, love and pride as I watch you take each new step in your journey of "firsts" and see you grow up into the kind, sweet, smart little person that you are becoming.
You are only in school 3 mornings a week, yet it feels like so much more after the last (almost) 4 years you and I have spent together nearly every day.
You brought home this special picture for me and I put it right on the fridge. It's one of those pieces of artwork that I'm certain will have a place there for a very long time.
Daddy and I are so, so proud of you Will.
Congratulations on your first day of school. We love you so much.















0 Interesting Thoughts