Bedtime Shenanigans
8:42 AM
Last night, I put John to bed and it was a little later than his usual bedtime. I did the usual routine... took him in his room, changed his diaper, put on his pajamas, got him his favorite nuk and blanket (because he's pretty picky about which one he needs), gave him a book and put him to bed. I came back downstairs to hang out with Will for a few minutes before his bedtime and John was really upset and crying in his room.
I left him to cry for just a few minutes because I figured he would settle down like he always does. It became clear that he wasn't planning to settle down and that I needed to go back upstairs into his room. He was standing in his crib holding his blanket and nuk and crying lots of crocodile tears. I picked him up, held him for a minute, talked to him and told him it was bedtime. He wanted nothing to do with it.
I decided to put him down and told him to show me what it was he wanted.
He walked into the bathroom climbed up onto the stool in front of the sink and pointed to his toothbrush. I handed it to him and he pointed to the water. I turned it on for him and he dipped his toothbrush under the water and proceeded to brush his teeth. He was completely calmed down by now. Or so I thought.
I tried to take him back into his room and again put him to bed. He was mad again and started walking out of his room toward Will's room. I picked him up and carried him in there. I thought maybe he wanted to say goodnight to his brother and this way I could show him that Will was not in his room because he was still downstairs.
I put John down and told him it was time to go to bed. He laid down in Will's bean bag chair next to Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, covered himself with his blanket, put his nuk in his mouth and acted like he was going to go to sleep right there in the bean bag chair. I started chuckling and told him he needed to go to bed in his crib. He got up from the bean bag chair walked over to the bathroom and pointed to the cup next to the sink. Turns out not only did he need to snuggle in his brothers bean bag chair after brushing his teeth, but he also needed a drink of water after brushing his teeth just like his big brother.
Once this was all done, he walked back into his room and let me put him back into his crib. I double checked that he had his nuk and blanket so that there wouldn't be any further problems with him going to sleep. I walked out, closed the door and didn't hear a peep from him.
It just goes to show you that even a not quite 2 year old does not want his usual routine disrupted. Even though it was way past his bedtime and I thought he could skip brushing his teeth and go straight to bed, he had other plans.
A little later, it was Will's turn for bed. Typically, Erik & I switch off with the boys so he was planning to put Will down since I had put John down. Will came up to me and asked if I would put him to bed. I told him that Daddy wanted to and that once he was all ready and tucked in that I'd go up and give him a kiss, thinking maybe he'd forget and just go to sleep.
A few minutes later Erik called to me from the top of the stairs that Will was ready for me. I walked around the corner into his room and he was all tucked in and smiling the biggest smile because he was so happy I came to give him a kiss.
He told me about his day at grandma & grandpa's house after his sleepover the night before.
"I watered a tree, mommy."
"I gave the cozy coupe a car wash with the hose. Then I sat down on the seat and got my green shorts all wet. I was soaked!"
I told him I missed him the night before. He smiled.
"I missed you too, mommy. Daddy's red car is driving in Orado (Colorado). The green state."
(Colorado is a green state on his map. We have no idea why he thinks Erik's car is there.)
I told him that it was time to go to sleep and to sleep good.
"You sleep good too, mommy. Don't forget to take off your necklace."
Thanks, Will. Lol.
Bedtime in this house always proves to be entertaining with my two little men. And I wouldn't change it for the world.
0 Interesting Thoughts